Staying Safe on the Road: Tips for Avoiding Car Accidents and Personal Injury
Car accidents can be a terrifying and a life-changing event. While some accidents may be unavoidable, many are caused by preventable factors. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the most common causes of car accidents and what you can do to prevent them. By understanding the risks on the road, we can take steps to reduce the likelihood of an accident and keep ourselves and others safe while driving.
- Distracted Driving: This the leading cause of car accidents. Distracted driving can be a range of activities such as texting, talking on a phone, eating, and even setting the radio. Distracted drivers are less likely than others to see hazards on the road like pedestrians or bicyclists. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving caused 2,841 deaths in 2018.
- Drunk Driving: Drunk driving is another cause of many car accidents. Driving while under the influence of alcohol and drugs can cause impaired reaction times, coordination, judgment, and make it difficult to safely operate a vehicle. In 2018, 29% of all fatalities in car accidents were caused by alcohol-impaired driving. If you are drinking utilize a driving service such as Uber or a Taxi to get home safely.
- Speeding: Speeding is the leading cause of car accident deaths. Drivers who drive too fast have less time to react when road conditions change, such as pedestrians crossing the street or sudden stops in traffic. In an accident, speeding can increase the severity and extent of injuries. According to NHTSA, speeding contributed to 26% of all fatalities in car accidents in 2018.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving can include tailgating and running red lights or stop signs. It also includes weaving in and out traffic. Reckless driving puts other drivers and themselves at risk. It increases the chance of an accident, and can lead to serious injury or even death. If you see a reckless driver let them pass by or pull over.
- Weather Conditions: Weather conditions can also play a role in car accidents. Drivers can have difficulty seeing and controlling their vehicles in the rain, snow, ice and fog. It is important to adapt your driving style to weather conditions, and slow down if necessary.
- Driver Fatigue: Driver fatigue is another common cause of car accidents. A tired driver can make errors such as driving into another lane, or not paying attention to a road hazard. You should take breaks on long drives, and avoid driving if you feel tired.
- Exam and Advanced Referrals
- Physical Assessment & Consultation
- Attorney referrals if needed
- Medical managed physical therapy and chiropractic visits
- We offer non-opioid mail order
- pharmaceuticals if needed
Car accidents can occur for many reasons. However, if we understand the most common causes of car accidents, we can take steps towards preventing them. Distracted driving is not a good idea and can result in personal injury. Also, it’s important that you don’t drive while impaired. You should also obey the speed limit and avoid reckless driving. We can decrease the chance of an accident by being responsible drivers and following safe driving habits. This will keep us and others safe.